Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Tiger Makes It Three In A Row And Nine Of Eleven

To tell the truth, you would have been shocked if Tiger didn't win, so to the surprise of absolutely no one, Tiger is the 2007 Player Of The Year.

In announcing the award, PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem said, "To earn the respect of your peers is the highest honor you can receive."

In 2007, Tiger won an incredible seven times, including the PGA Championship, his 13th major, and the inaugural FedExCup.

And, if there is any room left in the trophy case, he also snatched up the Arnold Palmer Award for the eighth time as the leading money winner, earning a whopping $10,867,052 and his eighth Byron Nelson Trophy for leading the TOUR in scoring average as his 67.79 mark equaled the lowest average in TOUR history.

This guy may have a future in this game.

On the Nationwide Tour Nick Flanagan was named the Player of the Year. And because the PGA is not one to waste words, they used the exact same ones to congratulate Nick. Let's see, how did that go? Oh yeah, "To earn the respect of your peers is the highest honor you can receive," the Commissioner said once again.

Flanagan, a fellow from down under, became the first international player to earn Player Of The Year honors on the Nationwide Tour. Wasting no time at all, he won three times in only 17 starts and earned an automatic promotion to the big Tour; and despite spending a big part of his year on the PGA TOUR, Flanagan still finished third on the Nationwide Tour money list with $369,951.

He was selected over a field that included Richard Johnson and Roland Thatcher, both of whom won twice in 2007.

Not as predictable as Tiger, but still an odds-on favorite, Jay Haas was named the Player Of The Year by his fellow competitors on the Champions Tour. And no one was surprised when Tim Finchem said once again, "To earn the respect of your peers is the highest honor you can receive."

Jay was voted as the Player of the Year on the Champions Tour for the second consecutive season following a nifty four-win campaign and 18 top-ten finishes in 27 Tournaments. Like Tiger, he also collected the Arnold Palmer Award as the Tour's leading money winner, taking home a cool $2,581,001.

And, as if to announce that he has no intention of getting old, Haas said that he has had seasons where he played better. "I've had a lot of people ask me that, if I thought this is the best I've ever played, and I will say that I've been pretty consistent and I feel probably as confident as I've ever felt playing in my career," he said. "But I guess I'll stop short of saying it's the best golf I've ever played.

"I have been very consistent, I will admit that. But I don't know, I guess I don't think so much about it. It's hard to compare eras, and you know, I was able to win tournaments on the PGA TOUR, and so I guess I would have to say that I was playing well then when I won tournaments.

"Now, could I go out and win a tournament out there? I don't know if I can. I guess I won't find out. I'm having the time of my life here, and I think I'm done with that."

Jay won out over fellow competitors Brad Bryant, R.W. Eaks, Loren Roberts and the cuddly Denis Watson.

Our guy, D. A. Weibring, had a terrific year as well, finishing fourth in scoring average at 69.98, seventh in driving accuracy at 76.57%, eighth in greens in regulations at 71.95, and forth in all-around play at 124. D.A. also finished fifth on the money list with $1,557,622.

Way to go guys.

No comments: