Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winter Rules of The Great Game

I’m lucky, I happen to live in a place that allows me to play golf perhaps 11 months a year, and between Christmas and the new year I was able to squeeze in a couple of rounds. At my 10 A.M. tee time on the first day the temperature was 45 degrees, however by noon it was up to the lower sixties. The sun was shining and the wind was light and all was right in the universe. I would have shot a seventy-five had the course been fifteen holes long.

My second round on day number two didn’t start that well. At our 9:00 A.M. breakfast the temperature was around 38 degrees. Although the sun was shining the wind was biting at perhaps fifteen miles an hour and there was some question as to whether or not we were going to tee it up.

By the time we reached the practice range at about 10:15 A.M. the temperature had jumped up above forty and with the sun shining; it looked deceptively warm, however it was not. As the wind whistled around my ears I could see the restaurant at the club not more than 100 yards away. I thought about the second serving of hotcakes that was no more than a sand wedge behind me and wondered if I would look like a wimp or a genius sitting in the clubhouse sipping another cup of hot coffee.

At 10:45 A.M. I teed it up and hit a reasonably good drive into the wind. It was at that point that I remembered some of the cold weather tips I had read over the years. Obviously, hitting the ball into the wind shortens your drive and if you hit the ball really high you’re in even more trouble. But did you know that a crosswind also shortens your drive as well? Take one more club when the wind is either left to right or right to left. If the wind is behind you go ahead and let it fly, but remember not to over swing like me.

Those big swings I take trying to ride a tailwind have got me into more trouble more times than I can remember.

I also remember reading that the temperature effects your distance and that it is a good idea to add a club when the temperature starts to drop. If you normally hit a five iron 175 yards when the temperature is 80 degrees, at sixty degrees that same swing will may get you only 165 yards. That tip may come in handy unless the water hazard is frozen solid and in that case nothing will help you because you’ve lost your mind if you are still playing.

If, in addition to the cold weather, you also have to deal with wet conditions, you win my “Are You Kidding Me” award. And, while the mud is flying everywhere it is helpful to know that when the moisture gets on the face of your irons the shots won't spin much. Your shots won't fly as high, or check as much on the greens, either.

Warm clothes are another cold weather hazard. For example, if your arms won’t hang down to your side you may need to rethink your wardrobe. If your corduroy pants sound like a zipper factory when you swing you may need to rethink that decision as well. It is also important to understand if your fat belly is completely hidden by the six sweaters you are wearing you may not be able to make that big turn that you haven’t made in the last ten years.

Finally, if at the top of your backswing your swing thoughts are about the pancakes you could be eating you’re my kind of golfer.

Stay warm if you can, pass the butter if you please, but never and I mean never stop playing... never.

No comments: